Saturday, September 1, 2012

Wide Open Spaces: Exploring the Canadian Prairies


At the beginning of this year
 I made an announcement. A resolution. 
"To be more irresponsible"

Encompassed in this resolution 
is much more than finding crazy things to do...
(It's actually not about that at all)
It has simply reminded me to have courage to try new things, 
go new places, and accept a certain level of risk
involved in life 'off the straight and narrow'

It reminds me to 'just do it'. 
To not let fear get in the way of opportunity.

That is how I came to arrive at this past week
and continue my graduate studies at the University of Saskatchewan.

Since I was travelling in the prairies anyways,
I jumped on the opportunity to visit with my 
Winnipeg friends (Anne & Joel).
Proud parents to be!
Flying into Winnipeg I quickly realized...
Flying into Winnipeg
The prairies are as flat as 'they' say they are.
Natural prairies.
Anne, even at 39 weeks, was a fantastic tour guide!
We spent a night a her family cabin, hiked through the boreal forest:

Explored and walked Winnipeg's parks: 

and ultimately 
enjoyed good food and great company...
Angela and Anne in Winnipeg!

Thanks Anne for a great intro into the prairies!
============================
At this point,
with all my travelling this summer.
I am getting pretty used to navigating myself into the unknown.

However, 
I must admit.
As I got on the plane to Saskatoon, SK
I couldn't quite squish the feeling that this was crazy.

Thankfully,
this did not last long. 
Instantly I was comfortable with this city.
Saskatoon is beautiful. 
Downtown Saskatoon
Me in Saskatoon
South Saskatchewan River



So many walking/ biking trails!
I am also impressed with the University of Saskatchewan campus 
(also very beautiful).





In addition, 
my classmates are wonderful...
It was so fun getting to know them!
If things were different,
I would really consider registring as an on-campus student.
(at least before winter)

Overall It has been a great week.
I feel a little overwhelmed but mostly excited 
about this new challenge.

The best part is
the first week is done 
and 
early tomorrow
Nathan is
 meeting me in
Colorado.

Hooray for long weekends!

No comments:

Post a Comment